Be a Safer Driver. Have an Escape Plan.
It’s known that crashes often have more than just one cause. It only depends on if you allow risk factors to accumulate. To be a safer driver, you should always have an escape route for any driving situation in the event something goes wrong. Next time you go out on the road consider the following tips:
- Avoid lanes with entering or merging traffic
- Check if you have an escape on the left side when stopping in traffic
- Always leave a couple of car lengths between you and the car in front when stopped so you can accelerate out if need be
- Consider using shoulders of the road
- Whenever you slow your vehicle down, adjust your braking speed so the vehicle behind you can slow down with you
- Reduce speed when approaching intersections so you can stop if a vehicle enters unexpectedly